Trust The Process

9:47 PM

This post is for anyone that has ever thought to themselves, "I'm ____ years old. This is not where I'm supposed to be".

For anyone that has imagined their dream life, but can't seem to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Spoiler Alert:

You're going to get to point B. I promise you. Life has a way of rewarding those who are resourceful, work hard, and don't give up. It's just a matter of time.

The unknown is how much time it will take you to get there.

In my experience, there are a few things that will either slow you down or derail you from point B:

  • Your ego
  • Your attitude
  • Comparison
  • "Talking" Instead "Walking"
  • No vision

Your Ego

My favourite book has to be Ryan Holiday's "Ego is the Enemy". I must warn you that this book is extremely inflammatory. It's everything that an ambitious person doesn't want to hear, which in essence is that: you're inexperienced, self-absorbed, and you need to get over yourself.

We live in a society where everyone wants to be their own boss. Now I have nothing against wanting to work for yourself. But I think there is so much value in working for others.

The Benefits of Working for Others:

  • For one, it allows you take risks on someone else's dime.
  • If you are working on a large team, it is likely that you have very little accountability (that is, in comparison to an entrepreneur).
  • What you lack in salary, you gain in knowledge and information. 
When you trust the process, you realize that every experience will come in handy one day. There is a link between what you're doing now and what you'll need to do tomorrow.

Attitude

Having a can-do attitude about doing the rudimentary tasks that everyone hates will take you far. Your colleagues will take notice. Your future self will thank you. I've worked in various positions where I'm the youngest person in the room with the least amount of experience. In most cases, I spend 90% of my time listening. When working in a new industry, it takes years to become a subject matter expert, and it's unlikely that you have any idea of what you're talking about in the beginning. Yes, others may mistake your silence for being aloof, or not assertive enough. Who cares? When you have a vision and a purpose, you know exactly why you're there and you're too busy learning.

Comparison

Stay in your own lane. I did a digital detox for the majority of a year (no facebook, no instagram, no snapchat etc.). I had no idea what my peers were up to, what they did last weekend, and where they went on vacation. In my opinion, the first year out of university is such a critical time for figuring out your own path. Being offline helped me to get settled into the new season of my life by focusing on the present. I had more energy to nurture my relationships with friends and family. I called people on the phone more. I wrote hand-written notes and sent them by mail.

Back to my point: comparison is distracting. It's also a waste of time because you could be using that time to work on yourself. I firmly believe that there's enough room for everyone to succeed, and that if you stay in your own lane, you always win. You'll never need to step on anyone to get there.

"Talking Instead" of "Walking"

Spend more time "walking" and less time "talking". In other words, do something wise with your time and talents. The best place to start is by focusing on what you're good at and mastering it. I'm sure that you have great ideas and something to contribute to your local community. Have the courage to follow through with your ideas and create a deadline. Don't spend too much time tweaking it and just publish it.

For example, writing is my creative outlet of choice and fills me with a sense of accomplishment. I strive to create positive content that is helpful, engaging, and that shares ideas and lessons learned. What you probably do not know is that I publish these blog posts and edit it later. I hate keeping posts in drafts because it never gets published. What's my point? If you don't create a self-imposed deadline, your project or idea will never see the light of day. This is something I still struggle with, but there will always be something that could have been done better.

No vision

Never embark on a journey without having some idea of where you want to go. Some might argue that planning is a waste of time because life is unpredictable and things change so quickly. Trust me, it's worth your time. Yes, your plans will not look 100% like what you imagined, but it's worth having a blueprint to steer you along the journey and not get distracted.

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires

Subscribe